Be 18 years of age or older.
Be a legal resident of the State of Florida.
Be able to read, write, and understand the English language.
If you are a first time notary applicant, you must take a state-approved notary public education course and provide a certificate of completion with your application paperwork. We provide a FREE online notary education course offered by Florida Department of State.
Be a permanent resident of the State of Florida. No specific period of residency is required. A permanent resident alien may be appointed, provided the applicant files a recorded Declaration of Domicile with the application. Both citizens and aliens must maintain residence throughout the term of appointment.
Have had civil rights restored, if convicted of a felony. Must report any criminal charges, whether or not you were convicted, on the notary public application.
Required. A bond in the amount of $7,500 is required for new and renewing notaries public.
Errors & Omissions Insurance
Optional. Florida Notary "Discount" Association Co. strongly recommends that Florida notaries insure themselves against claims of negligence.
Required. A rubber inked stamp. Required elements - name of the notary, commission expiration date, the notary’s commission number, and the words “Notary Public” and “State of Florida.” No emblem or symbol is required, but nor are they prohibited. However, the use of the Great Seal of the State of Florida on the notary seal is strictly prohibited. Embosser – may be used with rubber stamp seal but may not be a substitute for the rubber-inked stamp. The notary seal must be kept under lock and key to avoid its loss or misuse by another individual. Neither a rubber stamp nor an impression-type seal is required for an electronic notarization.
Notary Public Recording Journal
None Required. It is strongly recommended by the Governor’s Task Force on Notaries Public and Florida Notary "Discount" Association Co. that Florida notaries public record every notarial act in a notary journal.
A $39.00 filing fee is required for new and renewal notary applications. No commission fee is required from a veteran who has served in wartime service and who has a disability rating of 50%.
New notaries: Yes, new notaries are required to take a online notary education course to obtain your notary education certificate of completion. We provide this course to you for FREE offered by the Florida Department of State. Renewal notaries: No, renewal notaries if your commission has not expired for longer than 1 year then you are exempt from the notary education course.
Notary Commission Renewal
A notary may apply 120 days before the expiration of his current commission by completing a renewal application form.
State of Florida Notary Website
State of Florida Phone Number
State of Florida Mailing Address
Department of State, Division of Corporations, Notary Commissions, P.O. Box 6327, Tallahassee, FL 32314-6327
Requesting a Florida Replacement/Duplicate Certificate
If you are in need of a Florida replacement/duplicate certificate the fee will be $20.00.
Lost or Stolen Notary Stamp
Scan and email signed statement to NotariesCorpHelp@dos.myflorida.com. Mail signed statement to: Division of Corporations, Notary Section, P.O. Box 6327, Tallahassee FL 32314
Complete the Florida new or renewal notary bond package order form.
Complete the Florida new or renewal notary public commission application.
- Florida New or Renewal Notary Public Commission Application (PDF) Notary Public Commission Application Note: Any notary public commission application that has to go to the Governor’s Office for approval (those that checked "YES" to question 5 (revoked commission) and/or "YES" to questions 6,7 and 8 on the notary public application) must submit an additional $40.00 since it must be sent and processed separately to the Governor’s Office for approval. Governor approvals will take additional time to process. Thank you.
- IF APPLICABLE - Public Record Exemptions Form (PDF) Starting March 1, 2022, the Florida Department of State’s Notary Section will no longer be processing public record exemption requests. All public record exemption request forms need to be submitted to the Florida Department of State’s Office of the General Counsel for processing.
Do you have to take the required online notary education course? We provide a FREE online notary education course offered by Florida Department of State.
Renewal Notaries: No, renewal notaries if your commission has not expired for longer than 1 year then you are EXEMPT from the online notary education course.
New Notaries: Yes, new notaries are required to take a online notary education course to obtain your notary education certificate of completion.
You must only mail the below forms directly to us due to the fact the Florida Department of State requires an "original signature" notary public application.
- Completed order form.
- Completed entire "original signature" notary application.
- New notaries only: A copy of your signed notary education certificate of completion.
Florida Notary "Discount" Association Co.
P.O. Box 7177
Tallahassee FL, 32314
We will electronically file your notary public application directly to the State for processing.
Once your completed forms are received we will then electronically file your notary public application directly to the Florida Department of State for processing. When the Florida Department of State receives the notary public application they will review it, approve it and mail us your "original" approved official notary public certificate of office.
Once we receive your "original" approved official notary public certificate of office we will then order your official seal stamp and mail you the following:
- Original official notary public certificate of office.
- Notary errors & omissions policy.
- Official seal stamp will be mailed separately. Please allow approximately 3 to 6 business days to receive your official seal stamp due to the fact that it must be personalized and manufactured. Once you receive your official seal stamp in mail you are now authorized to begin your notarial duties.
State Bond Terms:
4 Year Term / $7,500 Bond
State Stamp / Seal Requirements:
Ink Stamp Required. (Round or Rectangular) Embossing Seal may ONLY be used in conjunction with ink stamp.
Public Records URL:
State Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 7177
Tallahassee, FL 32314
State Store Name:
Florida Notary "Discount" Association Co.
Allow Faxed Applications:
Assistance with your notary application in Florida